Saturday, November 16, 2013

A Farming Family. . . Day #16 of Thankfulness

This farm has been in Gary's family since the early 40's. 
That is more than 70 years of history.



I sometimes wonder what it was like back then. 
What did Papa Cedric say to Grandma Davis when they bought this place?
Papa Cedric never lived here.


Taken too soon by a brain tumor.
Grandma Effie forging a life without her beloved. 

2 family members I never met. 
2 family members our son rejoices with these days.


The family started on the hill. 
Where there was no electricity or plumbing.
She birthed 7 children; a set of twins. (One of which was Gary's dad)
And watched as 2 journeyed to the grave. 
Stories were told of Grandma getting the fire going, making bread and feeding the hired hands.
Oh, how much work that would have been.
Stones picked to smooth the earth.
Rough living.

I wonder how isolated they were up there on the hill.
They both had many siblings.
Were there frequent visits?
We hear of the kids trek down the hill to go to school.
Grit and steel is what it took.
Gary's father and siblings, were some of the finest people I have ever met.
One we named the youngest after.

This life is so foreign to what I knew growing up.
The connectedness was there.
Grandma and Grandpa lived behind us.
Aunts and Uncles visited often.
But we swam in a pool.
We had vacations and days off.
 Adventures on our boat.
We frequented the beach.
Weekends were for cleaning and family drives.
Chores were cleaning the pool, vacuuming the house,
 (the house was so clean, vacuuming was the easy chore)
 or mowing the postage stamp lawn.
Such a different way of life.
But one I do not wish to return to.


Though, some days I long for a weekend with no chores.
A day with Gary home, puttering around the yard and house;
with no demands of equipment, animals, feed, milk, help etc.

The farming ways are fading.
These men and woman who work through illnesses and inclement weather;
 they know the land and what it needs.


These ways are slipping silently away.
The support we once had, gone.

Auction notices arrive.
And we too wonder, how long will we survive?



Day #16 of Thankfulness
I am thankful for:

The Mountains and open space


The challenge of a limited budget
This moment; here and now
 My faith, God will see us through this challenge
Farming blood that runs deep in this family
 Tradition; there is something rich about the way that came before us
Constant reminders that we are supported, loved, prayed for
the ways we are reminded we will never walk this journey alone
And will continue to be thankful for this warm house.


It is a marvel and wonder to me that the daily stress, of gathering wood, has been eliminated.
My children and their friends.

Tara and the way she loves on my kids
the way she teases them and plays
the way she will snuggle in the chair and watch a Barbie Mermaid movie with the girls
like it was the greatest Oscar Award winning show.


Her desire to go on vacation with us,
creating the most wonderful memories on the final vacation we took with Elijah


While our life is changing at a rapid pace, God is never changing. 
Be encouraged today.
Seek the peace that is available.

Psalm 27:1
The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? 
The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- 
of whom shall I be afraid?

My name is graven on His hands, My name is written on his heart,
I KNOW that while in heaven He stands.
No tongue can bid me thence depart.
Gary loves this song.
And to this we will cling.
The great unchangelable "I AM"









1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful property/farm/house you have. The scenery is outstanding! Love reading your days of thankfulness. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete